Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dauphin 2010


So… I must admit I wasn’t that excited about going to Dauphin as I used to be.  You know… been there done that.  I’ve been lucky enough to perform on the stage at Canada’s National Ukrainian Festival several times, with many fond memories. (And a few foggy ones too!)

Anyway, things were usual, long bus ride, Husky truck stop food, movies and sore muscles even before we performed.  But excitement did build as we drove up to the site and could see the enormous Grand Stand stage at the bottom of the hill.

This show was a little different for me I guess.  Shumka has taken some artistic directions that are challenging for me.  I’m not as comfortable with some of the more contemporary “stuff” as I am with “standard” Ukrainian dance.  But hey, I’m willing to try anything twice.  Not to mention that I’m not as limber as I used to be and didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of my peers.  Anyway the show went off really good actually… until Hopak. 

You know this is Shumka’s Classic Hopak, choreographed by John Pichlyk.  It’s kind of legendary I think that even my friends in other groups could admit.  Let me just add in here that there are many, many great Hopak’s but this one has found a special place in the heart of the Ukrainian dance world.  It seems to tap something in your soul.  Maybe it’s the combination of Gene Zwozdesky’s musical score and Pichlyk’s choreography that just hit the right mark.  I dunno what it is, but it’s the kind of dance, no matter who you are, from what culture – you cannot help but be moved by it!

So when Shumka finished Hopak, you could literally feel the roar of the crowd as if a big lion was roaring in your face or some kind of explosion had just gone off in front of you.  It sent shivers down my spine.  It was cool.  Then we did our Encore!

When we finished the roar of the crown seemed even bigger, my show was done and I finally relaxed.  I just soaked it up - time seemed to stand still and I realized that I never thought I would have had the chance to feel this again.  What a rush!
 
I hurt my back really bad once upon a time and a twist of fate brought me back into the dance studio just over a year ago.  How lucky am I?  Some of my friends who have shared this moment with me before were in the audience, but I got to be on the stage again. How lucky am I?

I don’t know how the Universe conspired to make this happen – but thank you!

The rest of the festival was a perogy eating, beer drinking, sun burning, Kolomyika dancing, mosquito biting, body painting rock concert event.  The Kubasonics used an old bra as a slingshot to launch rings of Kubasa into the audience and Haydamaky – Kozak Rock, made the accordion look some kind of epic guitar from an 80’s glory rock band.  Someone should really make a documentary about this place.  You cannot invent the people or the things that go down here! 

Until next time Dauphin – I’ll be back!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm a Ukie from Dauphin MB, Ukie Fest ROCKS!!! (Expecially if Ruslana's there!) I dance with Zirka (intermediate) and Ukrainian dancing rocks too!!

    ReplyDelete